Saturday, January 23, 2010

Here are some cool things.

So this is going out to facebook land, huh? Hello facebook. Hello friends I'm indirectly talking to. Hello high school connections that get annoyed to see my name pop up in their stream because they never really talk to me and they find my picture vaguely annoying. (Everyone has people like this. Just de-friend me, son. I defriended you.)

But why are we talking about losing friends? Why not talk about gaining them? Why not talk about accomplishing things. Why not talk about everything that's changed in a year. Let's talk about married friends, and friends with investment accounts. Let's talk about friends that work hard at being stand-up comedians. Let's talk about friends that build engines for submarines or airplanes or both. Let's talk about people in marketing. Why are there so many of us? What did we think we were going to find. You remember when you were a kid and you were learning all the options for what someone could be when they grew up, and some of them made sense: lawyer, doctor, fireman. Their was a uniform and everything. But then others of them didn't make sense: Businessman. Ok, he wore a suit. But what's a business man except he's busy all the time? I know now: A businessman is in marketing. Marketing is, at it's core, selling ideas. Maybe your own maybe not your own. But that's what you do. Because the whole point is the idea, not the one selling it. So we're marginal by default.

Also, did anyone ever notice that in every romantic comedy the default career is "ad executive." Why the hell is that considered the standard? Because it's shiny and fluffy, and because most moviegoers can imagine that if their lives had taken a different track, they to could be high power ad execs. If you made the protagonist a goddamn Nuclear Physicist, the audience couldn't relate. You're sitting in the audience feeling bad about yourself because no matter how the dice fell there is zero chance your ass would've become a nuclear physicist. But ad exec. Maybe. So you begin to fantasize, which probably producing endorphins or whatever, and so you take the rest of the movie in stride. "Feel good" movie, yes?

But what am I doing. Conan said not to be cynical. I believed him. He seemed like a genuine guy. Cynicism gets you nowhere. Amen. But there was a guy who was valecdictorian of his high school and the head of the Harvard Lampoon. That's not a joe nobody. That's an intelligent, capable guy who went ahead and did it. He wrote the Simpsons monorail episode for pete's sake. Tom Hanks mentioned that he used to work with Robert Smeigel and Bob Odenkirk and I felt all inside because I knew who both of those guys were.

Do you think my last name is suitable for show business? Zilberman? You know what I realized recently...if you say my first name and my last name, you have to noticeably pause between the "s" in Boris and the "z" in Zilberman otherwise you get this slytherin parseltongue thing going on.

You know how a little while ago I wrote about fantasizing about pro wrestling? Well then I went to a WWE Raw show and met a girl whose training to be a pro wrestler. And met a bunch of pro wrestlers. And I didn't sign up for their school did I? Nope. Talk does not equal action.

It's funny: I'm often impressed with my self for knowing about the latest music, but there's a whole slew of shows that have been ridiculously popular for years that I've never watched: 24, Lost, Heroes, Entourage, Dexter, Mad Men. Makes you think how people can fill their time.

I love doing improv and I feel like I'm just on the very brink of being an improv guy. I'm almost right on the edge. That's why I get sort of sad whenever i get the feeling someone I meet in an improv class doesn't like me. It makes me feel just a bit farther from being a part of or finding my thing that's going to be my thing. Although I've met some awesome people doing improv.

Love love love love love love.

No comments: